Another year has come and gone, so it’s time again for us to take a look at some of the key digital marketing trends going on at the moment. For now, let’s focus on some of the major social media marketing trends for 2022. And you can also take a look at our previous coverage of a few compelling content marketing trends for 2022.
As you start to think about your social strategy for the new year, keep these social media marketing trends for 2022 in mind. If you make them work for you, you’ll undoubtedly see greater success and ROI from your efforts on social networks.
2022 Social Media Marketing Trends
- Social commerce refers to e-commerce capabilities on social networking sites and apps. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, online shopping experienced a huge boom in 2020 and 2021. Amazon saw record-breaking business, and so did plenty of other online sales platforms. This trend will continue to grow in 2022. If your brand has products to sell on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, or other social platforms that have e-commerce functionality, it’s a good idea to do so.
- Use of short-form video will continue its rise into 2022. Fueled by the high engagement that video garners on social media, as well as video-centric TikTok’s takeover of the social space, live and pre-recorded short-form video is becoming ever more popular among brands and marketers. If you need some inspiration, here are some good ways to use video to market your brand.
- TikTok—speaking of—is indeed taking over in the world of social. It’s been experiencing nearly astronomical growth. While it’s been widely dismissed as a passing fad, largely because of how young its demographic has skewed, that’s no longer the case. Older users are joining the site in increasing numbers, and even massive brands are diligently building their presence there. As you make video a bigger part of your marketing efforts, take a serious look at using TikTok as one of your social platforms.
- Audio formats are becoming notably more popular on social media. Video has been a steadily rising star for several years now, but it’s apparently audio’s time to join the ranks. The relatively new social media app Clubhouse (read more about it here on HubSpot) has done a lot to drive this trend, and Facebook and other social sites have paid attention and created features that cater to audio content. Podcasts, audio chats, and other audio formats are quickly becoming a highly effective way for brands to engage with their audiences.
- Augmented reality for testing products is a significant trend at the start of 2022. Along with social commerce, it’s gained a lot of extra steam during the pandemic as consumers have increasingly depended on buying things online. Sephora was an early adopter among big brands, letting people “try on” their makeup digitally. If your brand sells something that can be tied out using augmented reality, look into adding this capability where possible on your social accounts.